Job Descriptions / Job Family
Each position has a job description. Each position is placed in a job family. Job families are groups of positions with similar purpose/essential functions. Job families are used to determine salary ranges. The complete listing of Whitman County Job Families Descriptions (PDF) by number can be viewed online.
Whitman County’s Classification System applies to most County employees. It is based on salary information from a pre-determined group of cities and counties called ’the market.’ Position salary range placement could periodically occur as determined by the Board of County Commissioners.
The system has salary ’ranges’ with 10 ’steps’ on each salary range. The salary range denotes a range of monthly salaries that are awarded to employees whose jobs are designated at that range. Each step represents a specific amount of pay. Employees advance through each step by successfully passing a performance evaluation after specific service time requirements.
A normal hiring rate for a person entering Whitman County service is Step 1. An employee may change ranges through promotion to another job within the County, a re-evaluation of the position due to job responsibility changes, or an approved market adjustment.
View the database of Classifications and Ranges (PDF)
View the desired salary schedule, please select the employee group:
- 2020 Salary Schedule for Courthouse Bargaining Unit Employees (PDF)
- 2020 Salary Schedule for Non-Represented Employees (PDF), (for employees hired or with internal employment changes after January 1, 2013)
- 2020 Salary Schedule for Road Bargaining Unit (RBU)
- 2020 Salary Schedule for Solid Waste Bargaining Unit Employees (PDF)
- 2020 Salary Schedule for Corrections Officers and Support Staff Represented Employees (PDF)
- 2020 Salary Schedule for January 1, 2020 Deputy Sheriff’s Association Employees (PDF)
- 2020 Salary Schedule for July 1, 2020 Deputy Sheriff’s Association Employees (PDF)
Employees are paid twice per month.
Employees may elect to have direct deposit for their paychecks. Submit a signed Direct Deposit Authorization (PDF) and voided check to Human Resources. Human Resources must receive this completed form before the 12th of the present month to be in effect on the 10th of the following month’s payroll.
Human Resources must receive this completed form before the 27th of the present month to be in effect on the 25th payroll of the following month’s payroll. A voided check must be attached. If you do not have checks for your account we require a document from your bank with the routing number and account number verified by a bank official. If a voided check or bank document is not attached we cannot ensure that your deposit will process.
Employees may elect to update or change their W4 at any time. Submit a completed and signed W4 Form (PDF) to Human Resources to do so.